I have struggled with being embarrassed of the church for many years. In the US especially, we live among some of the most ridiculous people in the country: confused and misguided hyper-Christians. I can’t help but think we’ve lost our way and I want to separate myself from that.
The word ‘Christian’ means ‘little Christ’, yet what we see in Christians around us is nothing of the sort. I would like to take up some space on the internet to tell you why I hate being associated with these Christians and makes me embarrassed of the title by means of describing what is associated with being called a Christian.
EDIT and DISCLAIMER: This is not to describe all Christians! The purpose of this post is to observe social perceptions that have been constructed around the perpetuation of these 10 points by mis-guided Christians.
EDIT: This is not my belief about Christians. This is a list of what I see society accusing Christians of.
1. Christians look down on people who don’t live like they do. They are too good to cuss or drink. They huddle up in their little churches to stick around other people who live the right way, completely blind to their own flaws. Christianity is exclusive and hypocritical.
2. Christians use the Bible to justify heinous statements and actions. They are clearly attached to an archaic text with no relevance to the morality of today. Christianity is morally backwards.
3. Christians are anti-science. Their belief that God created the world has made them reject scientific thinking by holding onto irrational beliefs. It makes them look stupid to everyone else. The church suppressed scientific progress for years! Christianity suppresses rational and original thought.
4. Christians are anti-gay. Just like the were anti-blacks. And anti-women. Progressive liberation of oppressed people groups has fought Christianity and its backwards ways for years. Christianity oppresses people.
5. Christians knock off everything cool in culture to make their own version of it. Christian pop sucks. So do most Christian movies. They perpetuate Christianity’s oppressive mindset and are unoriginal. Christianity fails at trying to be cool.
6. Christians are Republicans. Republicans are anti-civil rights and warmongers. Christianity supports war and oppression.
7. Christians talk all day about not drinking or smoking, but I see all sorts of fat Christians! Christians can’t practice what they preach.
8. Christians threaten people with hell. Their entire worldview is based on the fear of not going to hell. That’s messed up and no way to live. Christians are messed up and live in fear.
9. Christians claim to love, but they spend all their time judging, condemning and trying to make other people like them. They are always hating! Christians don’t know what love really is.
10. Christians don’t get to experience all the great pleasures of life, always holding onto their archaic moral law. Christianity is boring.
I can’t live with that label. Please don’t put it on me. Don’t blame me for the mistakes of my brothers and sisters.
I hope that Christians might someday be known as a people who live lives like Jesus and do what He did. The fruit of Spirit comes from God, not from doing the morally right thing. So Christians, check yourself.